Menu Close

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

9 Urban Survival Skills

Good points to consider here.  Avoidance, situational awareness, being prepared mentally and physically and what to have on your person.  I have always tried to blend in when traveling.  Have to laugh when I’m in other countries, Americans are so easy to spot.  You don’t want to scream “I have money” or “I am weak.”  Another thing I carry is a credit card wallet stuffed with expired cards.  I figure I can toss it on the ground to the side to create momentary diversion allowing me either to retreat... or escalate with split second advantage.

Lord help us if we have to resort to dumpster diving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QKcQB3bEWc&feature=share

Great idea..credit card wallet stuffed with expired cards to toss for diversion or escalate with  split second advantage.

Pastor John Correa at Active Self Protection channel on YouTube has great real life scenarios to learn about situational awareness.

He missed a very important one: there is no such thing as a fair street fight.  If you have some grey in your hair, or ma remember a time when there was the possibility that you could be involved in a street fight where it was just punches.  Those days are long gone.

Quote from Fireeagle on October 10, 2020, 7:35 PM

He missed a very important one: there is no such thing as a fair street fight.  If you have some grey in your hair, or ma remember a time when there was the possibility that you could be involved in a street fight where it was just punches.  Those days are long gone.

Couldn't agree more Fireeagle.  If you're in a fight to begin with, it must be because you were in danger of serious injury or death.  End the threat.  "Fair" doesn't enter into it.  Winning the fight does.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six....

In other words, if you’re in a fair fight your tactics suck.

Quote from GA Patriot on October 10, 2020, 1:50 PM

Good points to consider here.  Avoidance, situational awareness, being prepared mentally and physically and what to have on your person.  I have always tried to blend in when traveling.  Have to laugh when I’m in other countries, Americans are so easy to spot.  You don’t want to scream “I have money” or “I am weak.”  Another thing I carry is a credit card wallet stuffed with expired cards.  I figure I can toss it on the ground to the side to create momentary diversion allowing me either to retreat... or escalate with split second advantage.

I'll give you some good male tips based on experience having being born in and surviving in a urban area for the better part of my life is, one is dress like a slob , look like on a good pay day you might have a couple of bucks left in your pocket.

Another is do not do the normal guy thing and have your wallet in your back pocket, it screws with your posture and is too easy to pick or remove, keep your wallet in your strong hand front pocket.

I do not have any facts to back my following statement, but I believe there is something about someone trying to grab or pick a wallet out a front pocket near a penis and that deters the idea of doing so and while most guys might not notice a bump and a missing back pocket wallet, if someone goes forward to a front pocket, that gets that personal, it will be noticed.

When you exit a vehicle, grab your belt with both hands and pull it up, most people will never notice it, but LEO's and criminals see that as adjusting your belt so your firearm is up and where you want it.

If possible when leaving a store with a product, carry it in your weak hand with your keys, keep your strong hand ready to fight or to access a carry firearm.

If for some reason you ever get into a fight, understand there are no rules, a kick to the crotch is disabling regardless if you hit testicles or a clitoris, also with females a hard punch to a breast is very painful.

Also if you find yourself on the ground, anything you can grab is your friend, a handful of dirt, roadside glass, what ever tossed into your attackers eyes will give you a one up, once it does go full bore attack mode, don't back off until you are sure the attacker is down and down hard.

If your attacker goes down, kicks to the head are fair game, the idea is to disable the attacker so you can flee and get to a safer location and call the police.

Quote from stridertheranger on October 11, 2020, 2:11 PM

In other words, if you’re in a fair fight your tactics suck.

Yes, in survival the only fair fight is the one you will win.

Good points WCE.  I also grew up in an urban area and the wallet thing you learn early.  Marks are the only ones that keep their wallets in back pockets.   He did cover dressing like you fit in and that really works.  They are usually not well dressed in most parts of the city.  Even if you’re required to wear a suit, don’t have the $1,ooo top coat.  I usually wear a plain longer jacket or a pea coat.