The Civilian Defense Force HQ Discussion Forum is a non-public platform for communication between members of the organization from around the country, at all levels of membership/leadership. It is primarily designed to allow the passing of necessary information between members, but is also used to discuss matters of interest and importance outside of the immediate “need” for discussion.
We encourage, and in fact expect, participation within the board. We welcome diverse points of view and even lively debate. What we do not welcome, however, are free-for-all arguments, divisive comments aimed at the person/persons involved within discussions, or personal attacks of any kind. We are all adults, and as members of the Civilian Defense Force each one of us is expected to behave like an adult at all times.
To help guide discussion and keep topics/postings within these parameters, the following rules have been placed into effect. These rules are non-negotiable, and are not subject to “bending”; failure to adhere to them at all times will result in progressive disciplinary action that can lead to banning from the discussion board, and even termination of membership within the organization.
These rules have been adopted effective 04/21/2021:
- No posting of illegal material or discussion of illegal activity. In our field this is of particular concern. Material/discussions of this nature would include things such as instructions for building illegal weapons/attachments, suggestions for how to get around laws you/we may not agree with, or discussions of activities that initiate or otherwise promote first-act violence.
- No posting of easily-discerned “foolish” material. This would include things like suggestions of anti-government activity that is on it’s face illegal (tax evasion, for instance), immoral, or just stupid, the posting of signs or symbols that suggest or may otherwise be interpreted as “hate”-oriented, or discussions of violent acts that seem to exist purely for the expression of violence. This determination is obviously much more subjective, but if it is reasonable to believe that the average person would assume the worst with regards to postings like this, the post will be considered to have violated this rule. Just don’t say stupid things.
- No posting of pornography or other “obscene” material for it’s own sake. Risque memes, jokes, or “visual aids” that help inform the discussion and are not overtly sexual/obscene can be permitted, but outright pornography and related material is forbidden. This is not that kind of site.
- No posting of personal information of any kind, regarding any person. This is for the safety and protection of everyone, not the least you. Personal information includes “real” names, street addresses, phone numbers, private email and other account information, physical descriptions, family connections, employer/employment information, etc. When you post your own information this is considered a violation of personal security (PERSEC) and will be met with an immediate warning and editing of the post. If you post someone else’s information of this nature, it will be considered doxxing and will be immediately removed and you will receive a ban from the board for a time period to be determined by organization leadership. If it is determined that you’ve intentionally, maliciously posted someone else’s personal information you will be immediately removed from the organization, and if such posting can be deemed to be threatening or inciting others to threaten or commit harm to others, you will be subject to legal action including a criminal complaint filed with appropriate agencies. In circumstances like this the Civilian Defense Force will cooperate fully and in every way possible with legal authorities to identify and prosecute you. The Civilian Defense Force does not tolerate doxxing in any form.
- No advertising. This includes basic “spamming” and similar attempts to harass people into purchasing products/services from you, as well as other attempts to make money from our member list. Exceptions to this rule include posts that are made in categories/areas that are designed for this purpose (“Classified Ads” sections, etc.), posts that promote products offered by the Civilian Defense Force or partner organizations, and posts that are primarily meant as product reviews or endorsements (these may not include “affiliate links” or other non-CDF money-making schemes).
- No double-posting or post spamming. You may not post more than once in a row in the same thread unless the edit timer for the post has run out, in which case you may double post if you have something important to add. Spamming is also not allowed, and is defined as a post that has no identifiable purpose or does not add in some meaningful way to the discussion.
- No topic “bumping”. If a topic you created has no replies, you may not post again in it (double-posting) although you may edit the post if the timer has not run out. If you create a thread because you need help with something, you may post again as long as you include additional information about your problem (the fact that you really, really want help does not count as additional information). You must post this in the same thread; you may not create more than one thread per topic.
- No threats to leave the board, or the organization. – Threats of this nature tend to create a negative domino-effect on the board and organization itself, and cause prohibited “flaming”. These types of incendiary posts are always intended to create just such situations, and will not be tolerated. Responses to these types of posts, if they violate forum rules, will also not be tolerated. Members threatening to leave the board or the organization will be obliged, at least temporarily; repeated violations of this rule will result in permanent board ban and may result in termination of membership.
The posting of personal attacks against other board participants/members of our organization is a particularly egregious violation of our standards of decorum, and is therefore provided it’s own section within these rules:
- Postings that serve no purpose other than to insult, degrade, defame, or otherwise impugn the character of any member or board participant, or to incite others to do so (a form of “flaming”), or to overtly discourage another from offering his/her opinion or voicing his/her concerns, are not permitted and will not be tolerated. Violations of this provision will result in an immediate board ban for a period of not less than one week (there are no “warnings”). Repeat violation will result in a one month ban, and any subsequent violation from that point will result in permanent ban from the discussion board. Particularly egregious violations, or flagrant repetitive violation, will result in immediate termination of CDF Membership.
- Postings that respond to postings of the sort noted in (1) above will be treated exactly the same as if they were the original offending post. This applies whether they are in direct response to the personal attack or whether they are intended to attack or defend either party. There will be no flame wars on this board. The disciplinary track for this violation is the same as for (1) above.
- “Baiting” others with the obvious intention of enticing them to violate the no-personal-attack rules will be considered a violation of these provisions, and is subject to the same disciplinary action. This is a subjective call, but is usually painfully obvious to even the most forgiving observer. When deemed intentional (or even avoidable) by a person in position to enforce these rules, discipline will ensue.
- This should not need to be said, but it is; in the event you come into possession–by whatever means–of information that brings a member’s character into question–whether relevant to their membership, commitment to the organization, history, or any other thing–that information is to be provided to upper-level leadership and is at that point no longer your concern. It is not, under any circumstances, to be revealed publicly or shared with any other member who is not in demonstrable need of the information, and is especially inappropriate for posting to the public forum. This will be considered both a violation of the “personal attack” rules, and of the “doxxing” rule. Discipline for this sort of violation will be swift and unforgiving. Doing what we do as an organization subjects us to making many “enemies”, and these enemies will as a matter of course create and perpetuate negative notions about our organization, it’s leaders, and it’s members. For this reason no “information” that comes into your possession can be deemed reliable without thorough investigation by upper leadership, and in the event such investigation reveals that action needs to be taken, it will be done privately. There is never a valid reason to reveal publicly any supposed “information” you may come into possession of.* Using such information to intentionally impugn the character of any member, particularly in the form of a personal attack within public forums, is absolutely forbidden and will result in an immediate board ban, membership termination, legal action, or some combination of the three.
- These “personal attack” rules extend to the use of any communications medium anywhere; this particularly applies to our on-site personal messaging system because it is within our immediate control, but if it can be proven that you are carrying forward personal attacks of our members via other means (including on other discussion boards, via email, through the use of comms platforms such as Signal and Telegram, etc.) you will be considered to have violated these rules and will be subject to the same disciplinary actions as if you had committed the violation within our discussion forum.
Lastly, the Discussion Forum is subject to the same Terms and Conditions that control all of our sites/online properties. All of those provisions apply, but some are of specific interest to the functioning of these forums, in particular Section 7 (Acceptable Use). This section is thusly highlighted:
“You agree not to use the Website or Services for any unlawful purpose or any purpose prohibited under this clause. You agree not to use the Website or Services in any way that could damage the Website, Services, or general business of the CDF.
a) You further agree not to use the Website or Services:
I) To harass, abuse, or threaten others or otherwise violate any person’s legal rights;
II) To violate any intellectual property rights of the CDF or any third party;
III) To upload or otherwise disseminate any computer viruses or other software that may damage the property of another;
IV) To perpetrate any fraud;
V) To engage in or create any unlawful gambling, sweepstakes, or pyramid scheme;
VI) To publish or distribute any obscene or defamatory material;
VII) To publish or distribute any material that incites violence, hate, or discrimination towards any group;
VIII) To unlawfully gather information about others.”
By using the Civilian Defense Force HQ Discussion Forum, you agree that you have read and will abide by these rules. Questions regarding these rules may be submitted to [email protected] or via the appropriate discussion forum.
*The sole exception to this rule would be in the event that information obtained indicates an imminent threat of harm to anyone, and that this threat is of such imminent nature that it must be announced immediately to make the public aware of such danger so that they may protect themselves or others from it. If there is insufficient time, or it is otherwise imprudent, to make leadership aware and allow it to be handled from there, the infraction may be forgiven in whole or in part.